Sunday 2 March 2014

The prompt - week 7

mumturnedmomThis weeks Prompt from mum turned mom is a quote and it is:

Seek the wisdom of the ages but look at the world through the eyes of a child. Ron Wild.



I love the idea of the second part of this quote but I must admit that I am not so keen on the first part so I have decided to spilt the quote into two different topics.






'Seek the wisdom of the ages' implys that the older one gets the more wise they become, but I do not agree with this quote at all as I have met many older people that behave like children in terms of common sense and they are certainly not wise to behave the way that they do!


Going slightly off topic I guess that this kind of thinking goes along with the idea of people respecting their alders. I can never see why someone that is years older then me can be so rude and mean and yet they seem to think that you can not answer them back as it would be disrespectful to do so simply because they have been on our planet longer then myself. An example of this has happened with my mother-in-law who at the current age of 66 years would often shout abuse at me and my husband and call us every name under the sun and has also made it her job to be-little me and pick at everything that I do since I first started dating her son. This is something that for years I would bite my tongue over and say nothing to keep the peace for my husbands sake as after all she was part of his family. Then one day when she phoned and started shouting down the phone at my husband for absolutely nothing, calling him terrible names, I snapped so I phoned her and left an angry voice message where I told her that I would not be putting up with this anymore and I think that I may have used one swear word, which is very unusual for me, but I was very angry.


Anyway, since then (this was about two years ago now) she keeps going on about how shocking it was for me to have spoken to her who is my alder in such a rude way to anyone that will listen. I have not apologised as I do not think that I did anything wrong, under the circumstances, but I have told my husband on several occasions that I would apologise if he wanted me to for him as since that argument she has cut him and me out of her life and I feel bad for him but he does not want me to as he agrees that a big weight has been lifted off our shoulders since she choose to cut contact with us.




So although I seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent I really do not think that my mother-in-law has gained any wisdom with her age and it is a topic that irritates me.




On the flip side of this, the part of the quote that says 'Look at the world through the eyes of a child' is a concept that I love. Children see everything as an adventure, they do not worry about making a mess or things needing to be perfect. They see the beauty within  people rather then judging them on their size, colour or appearance. Children are innocent and they love and trust without hidden agendas, can you imagine a world where everyone lived that way? I know that it sounds rather Mary popping's and somewhat of a cliché but personally I think that us adults could learn a lot from our children and how they see the world, what do you think? 

4 comments:

  1. I definitely think we'd be better off looking through children's eyes, as they enjoy and wonder at the world so much more than many adults. And then, as you've clearly illustrated, not all adults become wise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that wisdom does not necessarily come with age! And I also agree that we could learn a lot from the way our children approach life :) Thanks so much for linking to #ThePrompt xx

    ReplyDelete