Thursday 23 January 2014

Pinata birthday cake

Piñata birthday cake.









I recently made my daughter a piñata birthday cake and I thought that I would share with you how I did it.

Ingredients.
  • 200g Stork or similar.
  • 200g Caster sugar.
  • 200g Self-raising flour.
  • 4 eggs.
  • 10g baking powder.
  • 30g Cocoa powder.
  • Chocolate fudge icing (I used Betty Crocker but you could make your own)
  • vanilla frosting (again I used Betty Crocker)
  • Sweets to hide inside. I used peanut M&M's, Cadbury's mini eggs and Haribo, but you can use anything you like.
Make two chocolate sponges.
  1. Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl.
  2. Add the eggs one at a time and whisk in.
  3. Fold in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
  4. Add a splash of milk if the batter is a little stiff and spoon into two greased and lined cake tins.
  5. Bake in a pre-heated oven on 190 for 20 minutes on the middle shelve, cooking one at a time.
Now comes the fun bit!

Once the cakes have cooled place one sponge onto a plate and this will be the bottom of the cake.

Cut a large circle into the sponge going about half way down into the sponge. Make sure that you do not cut all the way down. Then use a spoon to dig out the sponge so that you have a large pond in the middle of your cake. Then do the same for the top sponge, making sure that when the cakes go together the holes match up so the cake sits level.

Once you have your holes in your cakes you can then fill the bottom hole with lots of sweets, piling them up so they will fill the top sponges hole.

Then spread on a layer of chocolate fudge icing all around the flat part of the bottom sponge around the hole of sweets.

You can now decorate the cake however you choose to. I coloured the vanilla frosting with blue food colour to make a baby blue colour and then covered the cake in the icing. I then used some edible silver balls to make the number 16 in the middle of the cake and finished it off by adding some sprinkles.

I hope that I have made sense as I did find it quite hard to try and explain. If you have any questions then just ask and I will do my best to answer them!

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I need a piñata cake right now. This looks amazing. Thanks so much for linking up via www.mummy2monkeys.co.uk #GoldenOldies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea - my boys don't like chocolate cake but they like plain Victoria Sponge and they like Smarties etc (I know - odd children!) so I might make this for younger son's belated birthday party this weekend.

    ReplyDelete