Friday 19 July 2013

Summer holiday booklets.

Every year, once I have planned my summer holidays I make summer holiday booklets for each of my children. Now, these may not be for everyone as they do take a bit of time to make and they really only suit the parents that like to be super organised and those that like a lot of structure to their day. The reason that I like them so much is that my children like to follow a plan and know what they are supposed to be doing at different times of the day and it stops argumements about baths and bedtimes as everything is planned out. It also stops endless questions about when we are going to be doing certain activities as it is all clearly set out in their booklets. Another reason that I like to do these books is that it helps them to learn in quite a few different ways without them even realising it. For example, it helps them to read as they have to read what to do. It helps them to tell the time as every item has a time. It helps them to understand time management and how to follow instructions and it helps them to understand how to plan things, so for me, I think that what you get out of them it worth far more then the time it takes to make them.

I thought that I would show you how you can make some booklets for your children as they are really easy and you could always use the idea for a less planned and structured version if you would find that more comfortable.

So, step one is to get 4 sheets of plain A4 paper and put them on top of each other and then fold them in half to make a book with pages.

You then fold a spine and staple it to fasten the book together although if your not happy using staples you could always try using paper clips or glue but personally I find that staples work best.

You can then decorate the front cover and label it as week one.


I then write in everything from getting up in the morning, right through to bath and bed. That way each child knows exactly what they are meant to be doing and when. Of course I'm not totally rigid with my lists as if it was raining on a day to the park or a child was unwell I would change the lists accordingly but it's all there as a guide and each child gets enormous satisfaction ticking off each task throughout the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment