Saturday 8 February 2014

Buckets of popcorn cupcakes

Buckets of popcorn cupcakes.  












At my daughters 16th birthday party I made buckets of popcorn cakes for when they watched their movies. If you would like to make some the recipe is below.

Ingredients.
  • 100g stork or similar.
  • 100g caster sugar.
  • 100g self-raising flour.
  • 2 eggs.
  • 2-3 drops of vanilla essence.
  • 5g baking powder.
  • a splash of milk.
  • Chocolate fudge icing (I used Betty Crocker but you could make your own or even use different fillings such as chocolate spread, jams or toffee sauce.)
  • Vanilla frosting (again I used Betty Crocker but you can use whatever you like)
  • Toffee popcorn.
To make the buns.
  1. Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl.
  2. Mix in the eggs one at a time.
  3. Fold in the flour and baking powder.
  4. mix in the milk and vanilla essence, being careful not to mix too fast as you do not want to beat the air out of the batter)
  5. Spoon into 12 cases and bake in a preheated oven at 190 for 15 minutes on the middle shelve.
To decorate.

I used a red pen to colour in red stripes onto the cupcake cases as I was short on time and I did check that the pen ink wasn't seeping through onto the cakes but what I had planned to do if I had not been short on time was either to make some cardboard sleeves with red and white stripes to wrap around the cakes or cut the tops off some white paper cups and then colour in red stripes and place the cupcakes into these. However you decide to do it, the idea is that the outside of the cake looks like a popcorn bucket.

You then cut out a circle from the middle of each bun and fill with your choice of filling and then place the pieces of cake back into the cakes so you can not see that they have been filled.

Then use your vanilla frosting to ice the cupcakes and place the toffee popcorn on top.

*I made these the day before the party and I did find that the popcorn went a bit soggy so it would probably be better to make the cakes and fill them and then add the icing and popcorn just before you serve them if you want to avoid having soggy popcorn. Luckily no one minded and I thought that they still tasted great!*

4 comments:

  1. this is something i have not heard of before i like popcorn but not sure i would have it like this , but i am not such a great fan of it anyway this looks great for popcorn lovery, great post thanks for sharing its unusual x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound like a lot of fun! I like the idea of a toffee sauce filling too :)

    ReplyDelete