Friday 2 January 2015

Gratitude jars.

If you have not heard of gratitude jars before, a simple search on pinterest will bring up hundreds of examples. The basic idea is that each day that something lovely happens you write it down on a piece of paper and add it to your jar throughout the year and then at the end of the year you and your family can read them all out and reminisce about all the great things that you have been thankful for during the year.


Last January I decided to make my own and while I did not manage to stick to it for the whole year, I was pleased with how many we had. I also added a few that I could remember to make up for the later part of the year when I had stopped adding them. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get around to decorating my jar like all the lovely ones on pinterest so I just put them all into a pretty tin.

On new years day while we were cooking the big dinner we all gathered in the kitchen and took turns reading them out. It was really lovely and something that the whole family really enjoyed, even the teenagers! It really does make you realise how many things we have to be thankful for which can be easily forgotten. For example, my hubby had completely forgotten about our family camping trip last April until we read it out to him. 

Hubby and the kids are all really keen that I make another one for 2015 and this time I hope I manage to keep it up for the whole year.

Here are just a few examples of what we had in our jar.

January 16th 2014 - Chloe gave me a much needed hug and showed her love for me, bless my sweetheart.

January 18th 2014 - Darren brought me flowers today, a wonderful surprise!

January 21st 2014 - Faith lost her first ever tooth!!

March 1st 2014 - Took Lauren to London for shopping and a visit to 'Wicked' for her 16th birthday treat. Great time with my oldest baby!

April 2014 - We went camping at Rendlesham. Our first ever family camp and it was a great fun family bonding trip.

September 1st 2014 - Darren got his job back and I'm so proud of him. It also shows how great he must be at his job to be offered to go back.

September 2014 - I got accepted on my social work degree, things are looking up for me!

September 27th 2014 - Faith and I went to Colchester zoo on a trip organised by my uni and we had a wonderful time together. We even fed a giraffe!

September 29th 2014 - We picked up our newest addition to the family, our beautiful puppy, the lovely Leo.

October 2014 - We went to Norwich for a family day of shopping and treats, great times!

Have you made a gratitude jar before? Or something else? If you haven't done this before do you think that you will this year? I would love to hear your thoughts!

This also completes number 7 from my 40 by 40 list.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea, I have a pretty tin in the cupboard without a use, it has just found a use with this idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it :-) Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment xx

      Delete