Friday 23 May 2014

The prompt - Luck

mumturnedmomThe Prompt for this week from the lovely Sara over at Mumturnedmom is a quote and it is:
Calvin: You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don’t help. 
                        Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

I think that luck is a funny thing, the definition on my computers app says - Luck * Something that happens to someone by chance, a chance occurrence.
* A superstitious feeling that brings fortune or success.

I am not really sure where I sit in terms of luck as to a certain extent I feel that you make your own luck in life, but then there are certain things likes winning the national lottery that purely are down to a chance occurrence which makes the winner very lucky.

I do not personally agree with things like lucky charms as I am quite a logical person and I feel that the item makes the person think that they will do well so they do well, and if for example the person lost the lucky charm, they would then convince themselves that they are going to do badly and then they would do badly, so it is just a state of mind really. 

There is no denying that some people do seem to have more luck then others, for example I have heard of someone winning the jackpot on the lottery twice! Winning once is extraordinary lucky, but twice. I have also heard of someone winning the jackpot on the lottery with the first ticket that they have ever brought and again I think that is very lucky.

In contrast to this there is the flip slide where people do seem to be very unlucky. I have heard of people loosing several family members to different illnesses and accidents over just a few months and people that fly for the first time ever and the plane goes down. These types of events are also down to chance occurrences and are unavoidable. 

I like to think that you can increase your chances of luck in life by never letting an opportunity pass you by, staying positive and looking for the good in life and by being proactive but sometimes no matter what you do I guess some things in life are just down to luck.

12 comments:

  1. I think we do make our own luck to a large extent, but you are right there are chance occurrences that we simply have no control over! I also think you're right that remaining positive and taking opportunities as they arrive is the best way to stay 'lucky' or at least feel that you are :) Thanks so much for linking to #ThePrompt

    ReplyDelete
  2. @RamblingThroughParenthood: Luck is a strange thing. Like you say, you can succeed in life with hard work and perseverance. But things like winning the lottery, that has to be luck. There is no other explanation for it. #theprompt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm chance occurrences, playing the odds, coincidence...someone has to win the lottery and the person that does is going to feel lucky. I admit winning twice seems pretty jammy as much as getting struck by lightning more than twice seems pretty unlucky but luck is definitely just a human construct at the end of the day. Your thoughts on being lucky are great as I'm sure feeling lucky is all about positive mental attitude and grabbing life's opportunities with both hands! #the prompt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with every word. I too struggle with the concept of luck and think it has to do with your mental attitude like you say but there are always cases when people seem to do the right thing all the time and yet seem to be tragically unlucky. Great post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting thoughts on luck, as being lucky is sometimes just about 'feeling lucky' and as such then luck seems to come your way. Or is luck just onstant optimism - someone has to win the lottery and if you're constantly feeling lucky with a ticket in your hand you're more likely to win (because you have a ticket!) Lucky, like you I'm not sure where I stand but I say to my children 'whatever you want you can achieve it' and I hope they're going to get there through more judgement than luck! #ThePrompt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say the same to my children too as I believe that most things in life can be achieved if you work hard and keep a positive attitude. :-)

      Delete
  6. I dont want to believe in luck at the moment cuz I havent experience it yet. Like really getting something that you havent worked hard for. I really usually get things that i want by working my socks off. #ThePrompt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is true for most people in life, I know that I have worked very hard for the things that I have achieved. In a way I think that it makes us better people rather then those that get given everything in life for free :-)

      Delete