Saturday 15 March 2014

Themed family fun - pink week.

Welcome to week two of Themed family fun - a week of pink!


We didn't manage as much as I would of liked but we did make a lovely pink pompom heart to hang in Faith's bedroom this week.

We also decided to colour our rice pink one night at dinner to add a little fun to our meal which went down very well with Faith!




Heart pompom decoration.

To make this you simply need to make three pompoms which you could make from any coloured wool you like and then you sew or stick with a glue gun the three pompoms together and then trim them to make more of a heart shape.







To make a pompom get some card (I used an old cereal box) to draw a circle with a smaller circle inside. You could use a compass for this but I didn't have one so I used the large part of the cup to draw around and the smaller inside circle of the cello tape to make the inside circle. You need to make two of these and then cut out the circles and the middles so that you have two doughnut rings of card.

You then hold them together and use lengths of wool that you have doubled up to make thicker to thread the wool through the middle of the card hoops and carry on wrapping the wool so eventually you have completely covered your cards template. You need to keep going until the middle circle is too small for your fingers to thread any more wool through, or else it may fall apart when you get to the cutting. If you get to the end of your length of wool you simply double up another and tie it to the end of the one you are using. This is great for using up different odds and ends of wool that you may have and also good if you would like to use more then one colour.


Next you need to carefully cut around the rim of the circle making sure that you keep the two card rings tight together. You should be able to see the edge of the two card rings all the way around when you are done.

You then cut off a length of wool and tie it around the pompom so that the wool sits in the middle of the two card rings. Tie a few knots to secure.

You can now remove the card rings and fluff out the wool, trimming any stray bits of wool that are longer then the rest.



I hope that this makes sense as I am not great at explaining things but once you have done one you will find anymore you make a piece of cake!

If you have joined in this week then I would love for you to link up a post on the linky below, telling us what you have been up to for your week of pink!

For more information on this linky check out the page at the top of my blog.

Don't forget to check back on Monday to see what the next theme will be!







10 comments:

  1. I will try to do this laterz! Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm so late linking up. I do like having a theme to to focus on though, it's definitely encouraging me to to something fun with the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok hun, I know that sometimes life gets in the way. I'm glad you are enjoying taking part :-) xx

      Delete
  3. I do love those pompoms! I like the idea of having a theme :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh I haven't made Pompoms for years....Such a fun activity x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love making pompoms and keep meaning to do this with Grace - and I LOVE that you coloured the rice pink - I so need to do this for us! Thank you for linking to PoCoLo x

    ReplyDelete